Our directory lists health, legal, and social service providers as well as programs that have expressed a commitment to providing competent and welcoming care to LGBTQ parents, prospective parents, and their children.
While the emphasis is on listings within the greater Toronto area, it includes listings from across Ontario.
Many families are unsure where to start to find LGBTQ competent lawyers, family doctors, fertility clinics, adoption professionals, doulas, midwives, or child care workers. This directory allows LGBTQ people to search for providers within their geographic area who have experience working with our communities.
Rainbow Health Ontario provides a similar directory which includes only health and social service providers across Ontario.
Dara Roth Edney has been practicing social work in Toronto, Canada for more than 12 years. Her focus includes assisted reproduction (AR) counselling as well as mental health research. She works closely with individuals and families of all kinds, as they navigate their way through the assisted reproduction system.
Based on her personal experiences with surrogacy and her educational background, Dara has designed a unique practice with a particular focus on 3rd party reproduction, providing counselling for people as they work through AR decision-making processes and other AR-related issues. She specializes in counselling for Intended Parents/Recipient Families and assessments for egg and sperm donors, surrogates and embryo donation arrangements. As well, Dara offers support when infertility is a factor or a prenatal/perinatal loss has occurred.
Dara’s clients come from all over the world and she works closely with well-respected clinics, doctors, supporting agencies and other professionals. In particular, more than half of Dara’s clients are from LGBTQ communities and she has worked closely with LGBTQ individuals, families and agencies for most of her career. She is dedicated to supporting the unique needs, celebrations and challenges faced by LGBTQ people as they build families. She is a committed advocate and is proud to stand up for her clients to ensure AR options are equitably accessible to them in ways that suit their needs.
Professional credentials and memberships:
• MSW, Social Work, University of Toronto
• BSW, York University
• BA, McGill University
• Registered Social Worker (RSW), Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
• Member, Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society (CFAS);
• Member, Counselling Special Interest Group (CCSIG) of the CFAS;
• Member, Ontario Association of Social Workers (OASW)
• Professional Member, Infertility Awareness Association of Canada (IAAC)
• Member, Advisory Committee of a research study exploring the experiences of LGBTQ people with assisted human reproduction services in Ontario (conducted by the LGBTQ Parenting Network, Sherbourne Health Centre and the Researching for LGBT Health team of The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto)
• Regularly invited speaker at the Dykes Planning Tykes/Daddies & Papas 2B Fertility Fair where she speaks about her professional and personal experiences of surrogacy.
Join our directory!
If you are an LGBTQ-friendly health or social service provider in Ontario or your organization provides an LGBTQ-friendly program or service, we encourage you to list yourself or your organization in the Service Directory. Click here to fill out our online form.
Rainbow Health Ontario
This directory lists health and social service providers as well as programs that have expressed a commitment to providing competent and welcoming care to LGBTQ people in Ontario.
Trans Birth is a directory created to connect trans* and gender non-conforming people and their families to midwives, OBGYNs, and doulas who provide welcoming care to our communities. Includes listings from across Canada and the US.