This info sheet is part of a series of public legal education resources helps LGBTQ parents understand legal recognition of parents in Ontario, find out what options are available to them, and pursue legal recognition of their families.
Appropriate and accurate family recognition is always in children’s best interests.
This info sheet is part of a series on LGBTQ parenting recognition.
- Birth Registration in Ontario
- Second Parent Adoption in Ontario
- Declaration of Parentage in Ontario
This 8 page info sheet helps LGBTQ parents to understand the second parent adoption process in Ontario.
The formal legal term is step-parent adoption but second parent adoption is the preferred term in our communities, and it is used here.
Second parent adoption is a very common family law procedure for all kinds of families. Many parents hire a lawyer to complete and file the forms on their behalf, while others file the paperwork themselves, and seek legal advice as required. This info sheet explains what second parent adoption is and how the legal process works.
Table of Contents
- Birth Registration and Second Parent Adoption
- Second parent adoption is an option
- When second parent adoption is not an option
- Legal Process
- Independent Legal Advice
- Changing your child’s name
- Additional Resources & Contacts