This info sheet is part of a series of public legal education resources helps LGBTQ parents understand legal recognition of parents in Ontario, find out what options are available to them, and pursue legal recognition of their families.
Appropriate and accurate family recognition is always in children’s best interests.
This info sheet is part of a series on LGBTQ parenting recognition.
Other titles include:
- Birth Registration in Ontario
- Second Parent Adoption in Ontario
- Declaration of Parentage in Ontario
This 12 page Info Sheet helps LGBTQ parents understand the birth registration process in Ontario.
There are two ways to register a birth in Ontario:
- Online Newborn Registration Service
- Paper Statement of Live Birth (Form 2)
This info sheet explains both processes and provides step-by-step instructions to help LGBTQ parents and their birth attendants navigate the process of registering their child’s birth.
Table of Contents
- Information for Birth Attendants
- Information for LGBTQ Parents
- Donor sperm, eggs, embryos
- Two mothers
- Conception with another parent’s egg
- More than two parents
- Sole parents
- Trans Parents
- Notice of Live Birth
- Statement of Live Birth
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Three Paths to Parental Recognition